Volunteer Peer Support
VOLUNTEER PEER SUPPORT
Title: Peer Supporter
Reports to: Manager of Volunteer Services
Purpose: To provide support and information on a one-to-one basis to women visiting or phoning The Women’s Centre. Peer Support uses a self-help approach by supportive listening and assisting women to empower themselves as they go through changes in their lives.
Minimum commitment of 5 hours per month with a 1 year contribution
1. To provide a safe, caring, supporting environment for all women.
2. To provide empathetic active listening skills to help women identify their own strengths and explore options available to them.
3. Return phone calls related to peer support and the front desk.
4. Communicate with other volunteers. If unable to return a call or follow up with a client – logging the information in a follow up log so that the next volunteer on shift may take on the task.
5. Check follow up log at the beginning of the shift to complete phone messages.
6. Provide information on services and programs offered at the Centre.
6. Provide information and referrals to appropriate services and agencies in the community.
7. Attend volunteer training and ongoing volunteer education sessions.
1. Answer phones and log incoming calls and visits to the Centre
2. Retrieve phone messages, record in log book and pass messages onto the appropriate person(s)
3. Process registrations for programs and services offered at the Centre.
4. Process payments for programs and workshops (credit card and cash)
5. Check library books in and out
Knowledge and skills
1. Background education (social service sector, psychology, counselling degree) in relevant social service field required.
Completion of Volunteer Peer Support Training (Mandatory)
2. Strong knowledge of current women’s issues
3. Knowledge of community resources and agencies in the Halton Region
4. Counselling skill set
5. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
6. Good listening skills
1. Respects confidentiality of The Women’s Centre and the women who use the service.
2. Empathetic and non-judgmental attitude
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org